-
December 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hallo
A few weeks ago i got my brandnew Altec Stonehenge V from Iconic. They have now at least 200 hours breakin (still not finished) and sound just amazing. I never heard a speaker so dynamic and smooth all over the hole frequencyrange with my Melody 300B amp (8Watt with KR Tubes). The bass is tight and goes just between 40 or almost 30hz , middles are so smooth (female voices are just superb!) and the highs are detailled and transparent. As good records sounds better than bad (from the 80's)ones sounds most of the time bad. The Iconic 704 plays really like a Studiomonitor. Exactly what i was looking for. The speakers are really big and heavy (130lbs each). They are topquality and handmade.
I like to thank Steven Burger(a real packaging-master) from Iconic for his professional customercare.
Urs from Switzerland
http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00743xe4.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00746ry0.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00748gi5.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00745ry6.jpg
-
December 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Hello Urs,
Your Iconic Vs are BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL. Do you have a pic with the grill cloth in place?
I noticed that the vent port for the box is placed above the speaker and appears different in size than the customary 2.5 x 11". What size is the port?
Do you have the SuperCrossovers? Are they located on the back of the box?
I think the Vs are the best systems being produced today. Solid and great sounding over the entire sound spectrum. Just SUPERB!
John
-
December 29th, 2006, 04:56 AM
#3
Inactive Member
-
December 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I was checking out their website..
Does anyone know the prices of these systems?? Couldn't find anything on their website.
-
December 29th, 2006, 10:56 PM
#5
Hostboard Member
They are gorgeous. Wanna swap for a nice pair of 19s?
-
January 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I just came back from france today.
@MIkeInNH
I guess an email to Steven Burger would be the best thing:
[email protected]
@n3135x
Thanks a lot but....no!
-
January 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I sent mail over a week ago, but didn't get a response.
-
January 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Keep cool and be patient! A lot people don't work christmas and newyear.
-
January 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
#9
HB Forum Owner
The tall version of Altec's Stonehenge III that I was involved with has the same basic dimensions as these, I'm sure (9 cubic feet), but they're not the same exactly:
* These have chamfered radii on the outer edges. Not a bad idea!
* The 604's are, in my estimation, way too low: The reason I raised up the speaker in the box drawings I made for it was to bring the 604 on-axis with the listener in a living room environment.
The resultant taller design was narrower than the much wider Altec 620 box, and eliminates the main problem Altec had with the 620 - aside from it being so bulky - it brought the 604 up to a place where it really works well in a home environment, due to resolving the on-axis problem of the earlier designs (the 620 and Stonehenge III boxes).
The design I made is currently available from Great Plains Audio. Bill is also working on a revised version of it with a curved face, magnetic grille frame holders (makes for a clean cabinet front - NO ball/socket holders!), and will be available in custom woods and finishes.
Call Bill at (405) 789-0221 for more information.
-
January 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Hi Todd
Because i did not hear your new concept i can't say which one is really better but i am not agree what you said about the on-axis in case with the Stonehenge V. My Speakers are 51' high, 21.7' large and 18' deep. And yes, they are bulky! The middle of the horn is exactly on 32.5'(83cm)which is perfect when you are sitting on a coach or (Lounge-)chair. But even when you stand up, the sound in the high frequencies does not change that much like other speakers do (specially Logans and Apogees, great sounding speakers but the worst that i have heard in terms of on-axis problems).
The 604 need definitely a lot of cubic feets to produce some really deep bass with a good response. I guess more than other loudspeakers. That means, a bit smaller but taller or deeper or vice versa...at least you do need 9 cubic feet if you like to live without woofer systems or building the cabinet with a bassreflex (somebody tried that?).
Finally i am very happy with what i got and in my eyes (ears) there is not much other speakers (regarding any price) which sound so smooth and musical.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks